11th September 2023 – IBA’s latest Aviation Industry Barometer reveals that, for the first time since the start of the pandemic, passenger ASKs from Chinese operators have surpassed 2019 levels. This is supported by a growing domestic market within the country.
IBA’s leading aviation intelligence platform, IBA Insight, further shows that in August:
- Monthly global passenger capacity edges closer to a full recovery, reaching 98% of pre-pandemic ASKs in August 2023, a gain of +1% compared to July 2023.
- IBA expect global passenger ASKs to surpass 2019 levels by October 2023.
- Overall, there were approximately 3.08 million commercial passenger flights in August 2023, compared to 3.04 million in July 2023, while 2.64 million flights were recorded in August 2022.
- 490k commercial passenger flights were recorded by Chinese operators in August 2023, compared to 452k in July 2023 and 287k in August 2022.
- There were 89 commercial aircraft deliveries in August 2023, representing a month-on-month and year-on-year variance of -25% and +16% respectively.
- So far during 2023, Airbus A320neo deliveries have averaged 45 per month, compared to Boeing’s 737 MAX at 33 per month.
Source : IBA