Company will collaborate with industry partners to develop disruptive sustainable aviation technologies across Europe
CORK, Ireland (Nov. 21, 2022) – Collins Aerospace has been selected to participate in seven projects under the European Union’s Clean Aviation Joint Undertaking. As part of the initiative, Collins will collaborate with European airframers, engine makers, suppliers and academia to develop disruptive sustainable aviation technologies. The company estimates that the funding it receives from Clean Aviation combined with its own R&D investments will reach €85 million.
“With our expertise in a broad range of aircraft systems and a strong research and engineering presence in Europe led by our Applied Research and Technology (ART) organization, Collins is well-positioned to support the EU’s ambitious Clean Aviation goals,” said Mauro Atalla, senior vice president, Engineering & Technology for Collins. “Together with our industry partners, we will advance our shared commitment to net-zero flight by breaking new ground on a range of solutions critical to the next generation of sustainable aircraft—from hybrid-electric propulsion, to thermal management, to systems for novel wing designs.”
Pulling together the best talent and capabilities of the private and public sectors, the Clean Aviation Joint Undertaking is the European Union’s leading research and innovation programme for transforming aviation towards a sustainable and climate neutral future. Projects that involve UK sites will be supported by funding from UK Research and Innovation, working in concert with Clean Aviation.
Below is a list of the project categories and projects in which Collins will participate. Collins will serve as project coordinator for HECATE.
Hybrid-Electric Powered Aircraft
- HE-ART (Hybrid-Electric propulsion system for regional AiRcrafT)
- TheMa4HERA (Thermal Management for Hybrid-Electric Regional Aircraft)
- HECATE (Hybrid-ElectriC regional Aircraft distribution TEchnologies)
- HERWINGT (Hybrid-Electric Regional Wing Integration Novel Green Technologies)
Ultra-Efficient Short & Medium Range Aircraft
- SWITCH (Sustainable Water-Injecting Turbofan Comprising Hybrid-electrics)
- HERA (aircraft concepts for Hybrid-Electric Regional Aircraft)
- CONCERTO (Construction Of Novel CERTification methOds and means of compliance for disruptive technologies)